Slide 78: Ureter
This specimen is a cross section through the ureter. The ureter serves as an example of transitional epithelium (urothelium).
The circular ureter
Draw and annotate:
A line diagram of the different layers of the ureter.
A few epithelial cells to show the different cell shapes.
- How many layers can be identified?
- How does the shape of the cells in each layer change? What is characteristic of the luminal layer? Why?
- What is typical of the lumen?
- What type of epithelium lines the ureter?
- How many layers of muscle are found along the length of the ureter?
- How are these muscular layers arranged?